In the middle of a conversation the other day, I was asked to contemplate the following question:
If I had the means and the power to change anything in the world, what five things would I change?
My first thought was that I am making a change in the world by becoming the change I want to see. However, as I sat and really pondered the question as a, “suppose this was actually possible that I could effect worldwide change,” scenario, my thoughts went deeper. If I actually had the power to effect lasting change in this world, after thinking long and hard, I would want to do the following:
1. I’d make sure no one ever went to bed hungry, and that everyone had clean drinking water. There are lots of things we can do without in this world, but food and drink are not included. http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/index.php?id=25
2. I’d balance the world with matriarchy. Most women would temper aggression with soft words and kindness, and they would not make war, nor would they sacrifice their children to it. The majority would want to talk about what’s not working, instead of fighting.
3. I’d change everyone into a steward of the earth, so we would all appreciate and honor our earthly home.
4. I’d make everyone functional, mindful, conscious, and compassionate so we could:
A. Know that we’re all connected; we’re all part of the human family.
B. Quit trying to prove that our personal belief is the only true belief
C. Care about each other as families should.
5. I’d make war illegal. When there is a difference of opinion, the concerned parties would have to find a way to work it out amicably.
I wouldn’t necessarily want a utopian society where everyone would be the same, because diversity has its place and teaches us toleration and acceptance. It’s not differences of opinion and beliefs that makes us a dysfunctional world, it’s the lack of acceptance of others point of view. It’s individuals, religions, political parties, and other systems which have to be right at the expense of everyone else.
You now have an idea of what my world would be like if I had the power to make widespread, sweeping change. If you had to answer the question, with the knowledge that your ideas would be possible, what would your answer be?